Tuesday, November 17, 2009

All foreign students in US colleges, can you please take a quick survey?

Hi, I'm a College Student and I have a project due immediately, and I was wondering if you guys can answering these three questions.





1) Has the transition of colleges been difficult?





2) Have you adjusted to the US system? How long did it take you?





3) What are 1 or 2 differences between the colleges?





Thank you, any help is appreciated!!

All foreign students in US colleges, can you please take a quick survey?
Ok, I'm not a foreign student but I teach many foreign students so perhaps this may be helpful.





1. The cultural isolation seems to be the biggest problem. This includes language, food (a bigger problem than one might think), social customs and making friends.





2. Usually a year or so to settle in seems about right. Many of my ESL students make friends much easier with other foreign students - a common enemy, so to speak.





3. For university students, the access to faculty members (easy in the USA, relatively difficult in other countries) and the emphasis on classroom participation in American universities is a big difference. Many foreign colleges and universities are sit and listen affairs. Here, teachers welcome questions.





Most of this comes from my work with Asian students. Perhaps other countries and areas experience different problems.





Again, sorry I'm not foreign but hope this helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment